Kia ora guys!
Hey, I would like to share this wicked hike with any of those people passing through the east coast of the North Island in New Zealand. You will be glad you stopped here if you make the effort to hike the tallest peak in the Havelock North area, Te Mata Peak.
So here we go. Stepping out of your doorstep one can follow the road and trails to an amazing panoramic viewpoint, which on a clear day gives you views for 100km or so! My best advice for all those hikers is to wake early and catch a glimpse of the magical time of the sunrise! Alternatively, if you make your way up here for the sunset you will be fortunate enough to see the light fading and the shadows becoming long and stretched across the hilly backdrop!
Here are some ideas to consider before going :
- Time : So for you guys wishing to hike up there, I would give yourself 2 & 1/2 hours from Havelock North to get up to the top by foot or alternatively by car just 10minutes!
- Stop & Rest as you go : There is are some nice park benches to sit at on the way if you are interested in stopping and enjoying the beautiful scenes as you go!
- Weather : Make sure you check the forecast before you go. I would pick a nice day with not so much wind, as the top of the Te Mata Peak is exposed to the elements.
- Be prepared before you go. I have made a checklist for what I would recommend packing :
- Water 1.5L
- Plenty of food and Snacks! (Very important)
- Good company (This can be hard to find I know)
- Walking shoes
- Warm clothes, it can get windy up there
I have included some Highlights, Lowlights learning, and a ‘Wow moment’ so you get a better understanding of the experience I had on the day!
The best part of this walk for me was climbing up above the morning mist, taking in the expansive views which extended as far as the snowy mountains and as far as the coastline. Just Gorgeous!!
I struggled to find a lowlight here upon reflection. Some may find a 300m vertical climb from Havelock North overwhelmingly difficult, if so, you can always drive up to the top lookout!! The walk down is much easier!!
I was blown away seeing the ways the trees interacted with the morning mist & the sun. The sun’s glow lit up the clouds, creating a beautiful burst of white lights contrasting against the dark silhouettes of the trees. Truly magical!!
Something I learned
You never regret rising early to watch the sunrise. That is for sure!
Brilliant, well thank you all for taking the time to read my post on Te Mata Peak. I hope you all have as much fun as I did.
I have made a photo trail below, I hope that gives you some idea of what you can expect.
Have a great day!
Ka kite ano!