Your must-have travel gadget for this trip
Essentials: Reflex, wide angle lens, Zoom, 50mm and selfie stick
Table of Contents
Among the oldest villages in Sardinia, Posada is the ideal place for those who love a contract with nature
One of the oldest towns in Sardinia, Posada in the province of Nuoro, is the historic capital of the Barony. We are located in the north-eastern area of the island, in a village built on a cliff, from which the castle dominates, with a bizarre legend. We are also in an area with long beaches of golden sand and where the sea has a turquoise color. Posada is one of the most evocative places on the east coast and excels in history, culture and landscapes.
Posada, panorama from the Torre Quadra of the Castello della Fava
An ideal place for those who love contact with nature, the valley of the homonymous river stretches out at the foot of Posada. The river can be ascended by kayak. A barrier forms the Maccheronis lake. But this is also the right place for those who love cycling. There are several itineraries to go on a mountain bike, in fact here we are also in the Tepilora Park, one of the largest green reserves in Sardinia. The paths wind through the forest, ancient springs, sand dunes, which can also be reached on foot with fascinating trekking or by horse. In the Pond of San Giovanni, you can admire the pink flamingos, while the beaches of the area such as Tiriarzu, Iscraios and Orvile are ideal for a refreshing summer bath. Photography lovers can indulge themselves here, in fact, the views, the details and the core of Posada offer interesting ideas for poster shots.
Posada was born on the ashes of ancient Feronia, a Phoenician locality named after an Etruscan goddess. This village was an Italic-Etruscan settlement from the 5th to the 4th century BC and for this reason, it is considered by historians as one of the oldest settlements in Sardinia. A statuette of Hercules was found here. Portus Liquidonis in Roman times was the fulcrum of city life and corresponded to the current seaside village of San Giovanni di Posada. The toponym Posada is mentioned for the first time by Pope Urban II in an official document dated 1095. The name of the village comes from the Latin Pausata.
At the center of the disputes between the judged borders of Gallura and Arborea, it suffered several raids by the Aragonese . From the thirteenth century to dominate the village is the castle of the Fava. Perhaps the tourist residence of Eleonora d'Arborea. In the fourteenth century, the village suffered the assaults of the Saracen pirates. Today the historic center of the town retains its medieval appearance and is a sort of labyrinth that climbs up to the castle.
Posada, seen from the beach of Su Tiriarzu
The historic center of Posada is an intricate maze of stone alleys, steep stairways, arches and squares that open up here and there. In the center stands the parish church of Sant'Antonio Abate, rebuilt in the seventeenth century on the previous layout of 1324.
The cult building is located at the foot of the Fava castle and is also known because on 15 January 1388, the peace was signed here between Eleonora d'Arborea and King Giovanni d'Aragona. The church of Sant'Antonio Abate, with a single trapezoidal nave, was reopened to the public in 2013 after being closed for major renovations due to damage to the walls and roof.
During the works for the arrangement of the building, medieval frescoes were found on the vault and in the first right aisle which has thus returned to their ancient splendor. Every year on January 17th the feast of Sant'Antonio is celebrated.
Posada, church of Sant'Antonio abate
During the fire of the Mudregu, an immense heap of cistus, it is traditional to make three laps around the fire before setting out in procession. This is also the period in which the typical sweets are tasted: Sos Cogoneddos and s'Aranzada, handmade by the women of Posada.
Another town church, that of Santa Lucia is a building of worship with a single nave. The entrance portal is dominated by the bell gable.
Also called the Madonna del Soccorso or the Beata Vergine del Soccorso, the church of Nostra Signora del Soccorso is located in the oldest area of the historic center . The church building has a single nave and a white facade. On the entrance portal, you can admire a crescent-shaped oculus, dominated by the bell gable. On the sides, there are two buttresses.
Posada, church of Nostra Signora del Soccorso
The church is the centerpiece of the celebrations, on the first Sunday after Easter, when they take place: a procession in traditional costume, the mass celebrated in Piazza Belvedere and the performances of the Tenores
Along via Eleonora d'Arborea, here is the house of the Ladies. It is a blue building that houses the Environmental Education and Sustainability Center. Managed by Legambiente, it is the point of reference for obtaining information on Posada and the hiking activities in the area of the regional park of Tepilora.
The pride of Posada is the Castello della Fava which stands on top of the cliff and from which you can enjoy a view that sweeps from the plain of the Rio Posada to the sea. Unfortunately, only a few ruins remain of the fortification enclosed in the walls, including a square tower with a crenelated crown and a series of cisterns.
The date of construction of the castle is not certain, one hypothesis would make it go back to the 13th century. Posada was the seat of the kings of Gallura as well as of Eleonora d'Arborea. It ended up in Aragonese hands and returned to the Sardinians under the command of Brancaleone Doria. With the fall of the Giudicato of Arborea, Posada was enfeoffed to the Carròs family, therefore elevated to the rank of the barony.
Posada, inside the Torre Quadra of the Castello della Fava
Like any good self-respecting castle, also that of the Fava has its legend: it is said that in 1300 a fleet of Turks landed on the coast, besieging Posada in an attempt to conquer it through hunger.
In an attempt to deceive the enemy, the inhabitants made a pigeon eat the last handful of beans left, wounding it slightly. The animal flew away and ended up in the camp of the Turks, who, having discovered that the stomach of the pickaxe was full of beans, were convinced that the inhabitants of Posada had enough provisions to resist, so they abandoned the siege and left the coasts.
Posada, view towards the beaches from the Torre Quadra of the Castello della Fava
The coast that opens in front of Posada offers a huge strip of golden sand and a turquoise sea. Of note is that of Su Tiriarzu with crystal clear water and white sand, surrounded by mountains and adorned with white lilies. The beach of Orvile , on the other hand, is often windy and the area is a reference point for those who practice kitesurfing.
Posada can be reached by car from Nuoro, along the highway 131. The port and airport of Olbia are about 50 km away.