Castel Gandolfo is a treasure chest full of memories, including a variety of jewels ranging from religious to civil structures, monuments, and manicured green spaces, all of which combined show tourists the city’s past and present. It is without a doubt one of Lazio’s most lovely villages. The Pontifical Collegiate Church of San Tommaso da Villanova, begun in 1658 to replace the previous parish church of San Nicola at the request of Pope Alexander VII, is undoubtedly one of the most remarkable ecclesiastical structures. The legendary Gian Lorenzo Bernini was the architect in charge, and his work was completed in 1661.
The church of the Madonna del Lago, which was requested by Pope Paul VI and consecrated by him in 1977, is also worth seeing, as is the church of Santa Maria Assunta, which was begun in 1619 with Pope Paul’s blessing and was initially used by the Reformed Franciscans and later by the Congregation of Propaganda Fide. The church of Santa Maria Ausiliatrice in the Borgo San Paolo area, on the other hand, is more modern.
Il Palazzo e le Ville Pontificie
The Papal Palace, built at the behest of Pope Urban VIII and planned by Carlo Maderno on the lines of the pre-existing Castrum Gandulphorum, a feudal manor that had belonged to the Gandolfi and Savelli families, is one of the most notable civil buildings. The most recent restorations date from the first part of the twentieth century, and inside you can see a lovely Private Chapel with an image of the Shrine of Czstochowa’s Madonna.
The Pontifical Villa, which is divided into the Pontifical Gardens and Villa Cybo, is also in Castel Gandolfo: the gardens are the oldest part of the complex, designed by Pope Urban VIII in the rear part of the palace, while the villa was built on commission from Cardinal Camillo Cybo and annexed to the structure during the pontificate of Clement XIV, who bought it at the end of the eighteenth century.
Other buildings worth seeing are Villa Barberini, Palazzo Cybo, Villa Santa Caterina, Villa Chigi, and Villa Torlonia, while aficionados of ancient history will appreciate the various archaeological sites that dot the Castel Gandolfo land.
I dintorni di Castel Gandolfo
The Castel Gandolfo area encompasses some elegant jewels, such as the Lake Albano coastline arch – with its Olympic Rowing Stadium – and many archaeologically significant areas: antiquarians should not miss a visit to the Emissary. Lake Albano, as well as the ruins of Domitian’s Villa.
The only partially intact Villa of Publio Clodio Pulcro is a Roman Republican villa located at kilometer 23 of the ancient Via Appia, within the complex of Santa Caterina. The Villa of Titus Flavius Domitian, on the other hand, dates from the imperial period and is mostly preserved inside Villa Barberini: in the past, it was a huge complex with three orders of terraces, courtyards, nymphaeums, a theater, and a circus; in the past, it was a huge complex with three orders of terraces, courtyards, nymphaeums, a theater, and a circus.
Those who prefer naturalistic beauty will find it all around the city, within the Castelli Romani Regional Park, which includes wooded areas and meadows, as well as the lake’s shores, and to savor the authentic atmosphere of the place, which includes fun and tradition, you can attend one of the many events that animate the center throughout the year.
Events, festivals, and events
The patronal feast of San Sebastiano, held the first weekend in September and featuring fireworks on the lake, music, and regional delicacies, is one of the most memorable festivities. The village of San Paolo celebrates Santa Maria Ausiliatrice on the last Sunday in May, while the Peach Festival takes place on the final Sunday in July, with plenty of sporting and recreational activities.